Wednesday 30 October 2013

[Computers] HHKB Pro Type-S JP and accessories arrives!

Yes yes, it has been awhile since I last posted anything. Anyway I have something of more interest worth blogging this time. :p

For those of you not familiar with HHKB it's an acronym for Happy Hacking KeyBoard. These keyboards are made by PFU Limited (of Japan) whilst the underlying keyswitch is by Topre (also from Japan). HHKB is fairly popular for a few reasons (namely Richard Stallman could be one of those). It's a minimalist keyboard designed out of the idea from UNIX guy. Since then the keyboard is fairly popular amongst virtually any OS (well at least major ones).

Since then PFU Limited has been varying the design of the HHKB, first by introducing Lite and Pro2 series. Lite uses a membrane key switch as noted by Wikipedia whilst the Pro2 uses a more mechanial switch. Technically Pro2 isn't using a complete mechanical switch as it features rubberdome over springs type of design. It can still be called mechanical for simplicity sake. There's also a notable price difference between the Lite and Pro2 series and generally speaking for a real keyboard nut, the Pro2 would be the one to go for despite its costs.

Of course PFU Limited hasn't stopped innovating. They have released anniversary editions of the HHKB known as HHKB HG series. These are notably very expensive compared to any of the other HHKB keyboards. I must admit that I quite like the design of the HHKB HG but with such an expensive price tag it somewhat remains out of my reach. Of course those lucky enough to obtain HHKB HG would be very proud owners of such masterpiece.

Then as of more recently PFU Limited released HHKB Type-S along with the JP. Type-S is basically the "silenced" version of the Topre keys. It basically means that it is suitable for those that loves the HHKB layout but prefers it silenced can still enjoy the benefits without making too much noise (and thereby disturbing others if such applies). Though inevitably the silenced variant will cost you more than a regular "non-silenced" variant. Although there has been a few tricks done by a few HHKB Pro2 owners on geekhack.org forums noticeably to make their regular HHKB Pro2 more silent. The idea of doing it yourself of making HHKB Pro2 silent would most likely be cheaper though for me it just doesn't float my boat for a few personal reasons which I won't discuss.

The HHKB Pro JP are basically HHKB with Japanese layout. There are some pros and cons for HHKB Pro2 and HHKB Pro JP. For whatever reason PFU Limited decided to limit these on is beyond me.

HHKB Pro2 Pros (over HHKB Pro JP):
- Has unpowered USB hub, two extra USB sockets along with the mini USB socket for keyboard inputs.
- A longer space bar that is ideally suited to Western market where the need to use space bar is a necessity for "separating" words.
- Some people on geekhack.org forums have noted the Right Shift key is longer, basically as long as the Left Shift key.
HHKB Pro Cons (over HHKB Pro2 JP):
- It does not have dedicated arrow keys.
- There is a few keys also missing apart from the obvious ones used for Japanese input for instance.

HHKB Pro JP Pros (over HHKB Pro2):
- Has dedicated arrow keys.
- Allows Japanese input (although in theory the keys can be virtually remapped for other IME inputs if needed).

HHKB Pro JP Cons (over HHKB Pro2):
- Does not have unpowered USB hub, basically only mini USB socket for keyboard inputs.
- Smaller space bar. (To be frank this is not restricted to HHKB Pro2 JP, if you have a look at any other keyboard that has JIS keys, such as Kana, henkan, muhenkan, etc keys. You would see they also feature a relatively small bar as compared to the ones that are targeting the Western market which lacks all those extra keys and boasts a normally sized space bar).
- Smaller Right Shift key. (Actually looking at the keyboard, there is two keys for Right Shift. Whilst arguably it is marginally smaller than the Left Shift key when looking at the physical dimensions on the HHKB Pro2 JP layout, the only difference is that one of the Right Shift key does require the use of Fn+Up key as opposed to having a key that does one specific function).

What I have here is the JP layout and Type-S variant. So it's basically a marriage between HHKB Pro JP along with silencers (via foam). There is no price difference between buying a HHKB Pro Type-S as opposed to HHKB Pro JP Type-S you pay the same price to just get extra keys and other differences as noted above. Also I presume buying the HHKB Pro2 would cost just as much as to buy HHKB Pro JP. The only real difference is where one chooses to go for the silenced version or not. Silenced keys versus loud "clicky" keys are a matter of one's personal preference. 

For me after having fairly well researched into my options I chose HHKB Pro Type-S JP for a few reasons:
-  Being a small keyboard (technically known as 60%), I'd like the idea of being able to take them around to places (even in public if need be) and to use the keyboard without making too much noise (implies Type-S benefit).
- I actually need the JP layout because of inputting Japanese via IME. Being a polyglot (of only able to communicate a specific set of language only in part) able to input Japanese for instance is virtually a necessity. Also if I were to input other east Asian languages (for example Chinese), I can easily remap those kana keys for instance to whatever IME shortcuts it allows for Chinese inputs.
- I've never really owned a Japanese keyboard, let alone a Japanese keyboard with Japanese layout. I have touched a few Japanese keyboards but never really owned one myself. So whilst I'm learning (somewhat) Japanese, I technically would be killing two birds with one stone so to speak.
- I also have thoroughly contemplated which HHKB Pro Type-S I needed, specifically the key layout. Of course both have differing pros and cons, I've weighed up on what I really need and the JP layout is suitable for my own use. Basically I don't really care about JP layout's weaknesses as I could easily adapt if needed be.

Although I'm also somewhat sure that HHKB Pro JP probably isn't as popular with Japanese even more so is from a Topre fan (I must dare say :D) OO2 of deskthority.net to admit the same point. I could see it as some sort of benefit into learning the JIS layout which HHKB Pro JP unfortunately does not come with Japanese character legends. In other words, unless I go and buy a suitable key caps with Japanese character legends so I could really start practising. I'm more or less stuck with having to deal with virtual keyboard to get by (and that is not really ideal as it will just make me wanting to use IME more). Ultimately I will have to buy key cap with Japanese character legends for my HHKB, it somewhat just doesn't seem right for a HHKB Pro JP to not even come with Japanese character legends let alone as an option for purchase.

After having decided to which (available) HHKB to buy I initially was looking at a couple of sites and to somehow get by with purchasing from all over the place. There is a US site (elitekeyboards.com) offering HHKB Pro but there are no Japanese layout variant (unarguably for obvious reasons). There was amazon.co.jp but that didn't allow shipping outside Japan (plus your amazon.co.jp account is completely separate from your amazon.com account in adding extra confusion). I ultimately decided to settle into ebay.com. Going through maybe less than a handful of HHKB sellers on Ebay with the layout and the specific version that I want. I decided to go through jp-okinawa (an actual Ebay seller). At the same time I was looking into various accessories one could get for HHKB.

I then basically summed up my wants:
- HHKB Pro Type-S JP
- HHKB Carry bag, for carrying HHKB and a few other things if need be.
- HHKB keyboard roof which I believe would be handy in not only preventing dust from easily getting in between keys but also to somewhat shield the keyboard from accidental key presses and maybe extra layer of protection whilst keyboard is in transit (in the bag of course).
- HHKB acrylic palm rest. This was something that I happen to coincidentally found after sourcing the HHKB Keyboard roof also from Japan as elitekeyboards.com did not stock the HHKB Keyboard roof for quite sometime. There's actually a couple of variations available for the HHKB palm rest from the same company. Though I chose to stick with acrylic as it matches with the keyboard roof material and also with my "glass" desk.
- HHKB spare key cap set. Initially I thought that this is just the letters on my keys would become either yellow, shiny and/or generally get discoloured over time so I thought having a spare set and replacing them as necessary would be ideal if in case PFU no longer makes HHKB or HHKB Pro JP. Also it comes with a key cap pulling tool which I was also planning to get from elitekeyboards.com initially. Realistically HHKB keycaps are sublimated which basically means that it would most likely last an eternity as opposed to other letter printing form on keycap.

For those who wants to know the model/part numbers of my purchase:
- HHKB Pro Type-S JP (PD-KB420WS)
- HHKB Carry bag (PD-KB01S)
- HHKB Keyboard roof [Bird electron brand] (RF-HH)
- HHKB acrylic palm rest [Bird electron brand] (CP-HHK)
- HHKB spare key cap set. *specifically for HHKB Pro JP series*(PD-KB420KTW)
Both the HHKB keyboard roof and the acrylic palm rest are by the same company for where I bought mine. The company is known as Bird Electron, they honestly have lots more other accessories that could accompany HHKB for instance but of course it entirely depends on how you want your desk layout to be. Bird Electron is also a Japanese company, all the merrier that it now seems like I can basically get it all from one place and have it shipped to me as one package rather than several small packages and possibly having to pay extra as a result. Plus I personally didn't really like the idea of having too many parcels sent to me for personal reasons.

Luckily jp-okinawa allowed people to buy any other goods from Japan even if it's not listed on his seller page, of course for a small handling fee. Also combining parcels was ok with him as that was more or less a must for me. Again I must admit that I really don't like the idea of seeing so many small parcels especially if they are coming from one country. 

So, I've gone ahead and paid for the keyboard. Inevitably I found out later on as Hasu (on geekhack.org forums) pointed out that now (as of writing) is probably one of the worst time to buy HHKB keyboard because of it's price. I've more or less shrugged the idea off, basically I need a new keyboard soon either way and a small one, etc would be nice plus I've always wanted a HHKB since several years ago.

I noticed that jp-okinawa is from Japan, cool so he can speak Japanese maybe it might be easier for him if I wrote to him in Japanese. I decided to ask my questions via paypal message along with Ebay (originally). I must stress that my Japanese is "broken", if there's a real Japanese speaker he/she would instantly pick out where I've went wrong, in other words I'm going on a risk because I may end up being mocked by one. 

I was really surprised that jp-okinawa replied to my message that I sent via paypal message detailing that I wanted extra stuff (such as keyboard roof) very quickly. Even more, he replied in English also asking me if it would be ok if he were to reply instead in Japanese. I told him that I personally would prefer English as my Japanese sucks. He was fine with that which made my life a lot easier. So anyway since then I've replied back to him via email with what I wanted along with HHKB and keyboard roof. I've also asked a few questions about HHKB bag as well because I noticed there was a slight variation with photos provided on one other Ebay seller's photo versus the photo provided on amazon website. Namely there is a black tag missing on the ends of the zippers. He replied that he could not see if there was a tag on the official website (also providing photos). Long story short, there is a black tag when I received my parcel and opened them.

At the time jp-okinawa did reply that he also has HHKB keyboard roof in stock, I was surprised. I was somewhat having a bit of a hard time navigating around specifically for what I want on Ebay and he tells me he has them. Though for the rest of the stuff that I wanted they needed to be ordered. Though I was surprised nonetheless. Whilst those extra accessories that I wanted needs to be first sent to him (and also there was a public holiday in which I think maybe was a gazetted public holiday in Japan). Both jp-okinawa and I bounced emails back and forth discussing of various interests for instance.

Ultimately I was very happy that it was shipped, he provided the tracking number and I was able to check on its progress. I must admit that I was quite anxious with my parcel because I've spent a large wad of money on the entire thing. XD It finally arrived at my doorstep and I've managed to take photographs.

Without much further ado, I shall present the photos.
NOKIA|N900|Not defined|1/22sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 13:46:18
Nice big box and it looked like as if it came from PFU Direct!

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/26sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|Fired|2013:10:30 13:48:15
Looks like it is definitely well packaged. That bubble wrap was placed on top as it is (not packing anything inside it) though it is fairly thick.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-229|Fired|2013:10:30 13:48:40
The first layer reveals the acrylic palm rest on top and HHKB carrying bag.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-372|Fired|2013:10:30 13:49:02
After taking the acrylic palm rest reveals keyboard roof.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-229|Fired|2013:10:30 13:49:15
Taking the HHKB carrying bag reveals the main star. The HHKB :D

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|Fired|2013:10:30 13:49:37
Finally, after taking the keyboard roof out reveals the final item that I ordered. A set of spare key caps for HHKB Pro JP.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/25sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|Fired|2013:10:30 13:50:40
Here is the contents of the keyboard roof. It seems like they have included sticky pad in which I guess one has to do-it-yourself with application. Interesting!

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-123|No flash|2013:10:30 13:50:58
Here is the keyboard roof taken from another angle. It clearly looks quite different from the one offered by elitekeyboards.com. This is the Japanese variant!

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-174|No flash|2013:10:30 13:52:07
Here is the contents of the acrylic palm rest. What a nice slab of pure acrylic. lol

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-107|No flash|2013:10:30 13:52:18
 Yet another view of the acrylic palm rest.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/29sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 13:52:41
This is basically what you get for ordering a set of spare key caps. Well apart from it not being bubble wrapped but I guess combined parcel makes the need for bubble wrap for each and every item would seem overkill.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/28sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 13:53:01
 Opening the set of spare key caps package reveasl a guide and the list of key caps included I guess. You can see that weird "U" shaped tool to the right of the Japanese manual is the key cap puller tool. Remarkably different than other key cap pullers seen (with bare metal wires on one end and just a handle on the other end).

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-246|No flash|2013:10:30 13:54:00
 Key cap puller tool along with the manual sits on its own little box. There's a thin cardboard layer that splits between top and bottom of the box. The thin cardboard layer holds the key caps in place. From top to bottom within the box: thin cardboard layer, key cap puller tool (in a rather chunky cardboard) and the set of key caps.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-325|No flash|2013:10:30 13:54:57
 Here's the HHKB carrying bag. Nifty as usual.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/23sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 13:55:07
The opposite side of the HHKB carrying bag. The information printed in Japanese basically discusses about precautions with storage, usage, etc.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-246|Fired|2013:10:30 13:55:51
Here is the HHKB carrying bag once taken out of that plastic bag. You can clearly see on the left hand side the little black tags on the zippers itself was the question that I asked. I guess jp-okinawa may have just ordered it from PFU Direct directly and so was probably not able to see the contents. Anyhow, just that little black tag on the zipper was something that I thought it was cute to have. Upon closer inspection, the little blue strips doesn't have anything printed. I thought it would be interesting if they did actually print something. Overall it still looks quite cute.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-282|Fired|2013:10:30 13:56:38
Here is the main star. You can now see it in it's glory. HHKB Pro Type-S JP. It seems like the "Type-S" on this box is printed in a sticker form. Oh well. It is Type-S nonetheless.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-325|Fired|2013:10:30 13:56:54
 A photo of the main star on one side...

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-186|Fired|2013:10:30 13:57:22
 ... and then the other side.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-264|Fired|2013:10:30 13:57:36
 Here is the opposite side of the box. Here you can see various features of the keyboard. In the first box (on the left) it describes about the Topre technology and the keyboard design, how it's smaller, customisability, kana input(?), PC/Mac compatible, Height adjustments, etc, etc, etc.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-264|No flash|2013:10:30 13:58:06
Opening the box reveals Safety instructions and Registration form. Interesting to see the model number is partly filled, leaving options to specify whether you have {black,white}/{silent,non-silent}/etc. It sort of made me think that the packaging box PFU Limited uses for HHKB Pro2 and HHKB Pro JP are virtually identical except for the little sticker on top as well as English/Japanese variant. Clearly nothing to indicate the colour of the keyboard and/or if it is silent based, leaving the little sticker to basically describe the rest. Of course nothing wrong with that, just interesting note to muse on in curiousity.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-325|Fired|2013:10:30 13:58:26
After taking those papers out one can see the USB cable lead.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-100|Fired|2013:10:30 13:58:40
Now pulling out that thin cardboard layer reveals HHKB Pro Type-S in it's native form.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/24sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No fllash|2013:10:30 13:59:21
Here is just the reverse side of the HHKB Pro Type-S JP. As usual it describes the DIP switches and its resultant setting. I'm sure the DIP settings are the same for all HHKB Pro keyboards. Obviously not sure about Lite or HG models. :p

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-246|No flash|2013:10:30 14:00:33
Having a closer look at the acrylic palm rest. Something seems a little weird here.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-214|No flash|2013:10:30 14:01:29
 It looks like four maybe plastic set of legs printed on one non-dividing 3M tape.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-214|No flash|2013:10:30 14:01:48
Here's a look at the reverse side of that four bit of legs. Clearly it is one piece. So it looks like some work is needed to get them onto the acrylic palm rest. Otherwise acrylic palm rest will move around without much restriction. Also I don't personally think not having those legs fitted may make one's experience of resting on acrylic palm rest itself any particularly comfortable either.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/21sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 14:04:07
So I first decided to cut them into four separate pieces. Probably one of the most easiest part done. Though if those four legs were cut more evenly, maybe it might not be too hard to cut into a nice shape to aid in peeling the sticky bits.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-229|No flash|2013:10:30 14:08:41
Unfortunately that took a bit of time... -_-' I had to somewhat precisely cut (with scissors) those round things. A keen eyed viewer would see that there's bit of extra plastic that sits below each little dome pads. Cutting the unneeded stuff around the edges may seem overkill at this point I guess. Oh well too late I can't go back now.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-246|No flash|2013:10:30 14:11:38
 So I decided to stick them on one side of the acrylic palm rest. Obviously, though I screwed up on my second leg (top left), it seems like I've stuck it too far in and now it doesn't seem to be easy to try and shift it to a new location. Bugger, oh well it can't be helped. ( ._.);

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-303|No flash|2013:10:30 14:15:32
Now moving right along, time to see what is up with those extra pads for keyboard roof.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-214|No flash|2013:10:30 14:16:11
I guess it allows one to position the ideal locations for giving that bit of leeway when maybe say for instance some heavy object is placed on top of the keyboard roof. Though the sticky pads being provided as is without being made to be permanently part of the keyboard roof allows one to customise the locations for the pads to the owner's content. Yay! this will be interesting. Going to start sticking in the usual areas except for maybe where on the HHKB is printed "Type-S". I don't like to have a little rubbery type thing rubbing up and down that logo, so I'm going to place it a little further away and preserve that logo! muhahahaha.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-246|No flash|2013:10:30 14:19:34
Of course I didn't do the exact measurements and placing those pads in the precise sort of measurement on that Type-S logo. I just took a rough guess and was probably off by a few centimetres. Meh.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/30sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 14:19:51
Another photo of the HHKB with keyboard roof on top. You can see there's now a small gap between where acrylic's bottom part sits. Now there won't be an easy chance for the acrylic to start scratching keyboard parts when one normally places the keyboard roof of course.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/21sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-200|No flash|2013:10:30 14:21:07
Here is the complete set for I guess preserving the keyboard and allowing a somewhat comfortable feel when tapping away on the keys. I honestly believe they look well together, acrylic type keyboard roof and acrylic palm rest.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/33sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-174|No flash|2013:10:30 14:21:25
 Another view of the setup. Gotta admit it looks really nice.

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-303|No flash|2013:10:30 14:22:37
Alright time to fit all these into the carrying bag. I wonder if the keyboard and the keyboard will fit like I thought it might (of course in theory).

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-214|Fired|2013:10:30 14:23:13
 It does! very nice, now to fit the acrylic palm rest and the USB cable...

Nokia|N900|Not defined|1/20sec|F2.8|5.2mm|ISO-372|Fired|2013:10:30 14:23:54
Looks like she's ready to go boss! HHKB can now be taken away 'in style'   (・∀・)

N.B.: Whilst I did mention earlier on that my desk was a glass type desk (with metal rods as the frame of course). Keen readers would probably be wondering why all my photographs are done on another desk. I have to admit my glass desk isn't quite up to scratch. Though whilst blogging now on that very same desk it does look nice (glass desk that is). 

Also acrylic palm rest is prone to get dirty quite easily. Though I'm sure it would be just as easy to wipe the marks off if needed be.

Last but not least, because I'm running linux I haven't seen any keyboard mapping that is written specifically for a HHKB let alone the Japanese layout variant. I have already written up a rough one based (shamelessly that is) off another person's .Xmodmap. Though I have yet to fully test it and see if it works prior to releasing to the public. Stay tuned! I may release it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment